POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP Ice mountain (63kbu) : Re: WIP Ice mountain (63kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP Ice mountain (63kbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Feb 2001 05:59:20
Message: <chrishuff-58F520.05581028022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9c9637@news.povray.org>, "Gail Shaw"
<gsh### [at] monotixcoza> wrote:

> Didn't think of ice. Any suggestions for a fence that doesn't look human?

Hmm...people have made so many kinds of fences, you should be able to
find one that doesn't look man-made. :-)
A couple ideas...twisted or round helix "rope" instead of chains, a
large number of small, closely spaced posts, interlocking cylinders that
don't touch the neighboring posts, but come close, electrical arcs
(which wouldn't have any problem with ice buildup!), glowing tubes...

> I'll have a go with a particle system or two. Can the results of one
> particle system be used in collision detection with another?

I don't see any reason that won't work...but I'm not sure it's the best
approach. The results will probably look too much like liquid...an
isosurface should be fine.

> As for snow it's too cold to snow, but there might be some wind blown
> powder. Maybe a couple more particle systems <wince>

Using a particle_system object directly for wind-blown powdery snow
would take a *lot* of particles (lots of memory), even if confined to a
small area...you might have better luck with a particle system written
that generates a blob pattern, then use that pattern to place a snow
texture layer. For this, you could use your own particle system written
in POV Script, or the accessor functions for the particle_system data.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><